Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Good Evening:)

Hello everyone!!!
I just wanted to apologize to everyone about not doing my part and posting my postings for the past weeks which lead you to not be able to complete your assignments. I am really sorry about this. So I thought that I would take this time to inform you about the things which I was involved in. I come from the Hopi tribe, which I think I have mentioned before, I grew up with my grandmother and she was the matriarch not only for our immediate family but for my clan family as well. Being that I grew up with her and she has taught me all the things which she knew and which would allow me to fill her shoes in a sense. So it is my responsibility to take care of our family and be there when all the ceremonies are taking place. This Powamuy Kachina ceremony is the marking of a new cycle of the year for us as a people. In a sense we cleanse ourselves of all the bad which we have done or that has happened to us in the past year and starting off new. So this is an important time of the year for us. We do not use a modern calendar we go by the moon cycles and other aspects of the stars and things of that nature. So we are never certain about when things are going to happen so it is at times hard to prepare for these things. I come from the second oldest village on the Hopi Reservation and we still to this day do not have running water, or electricity, let alone the internet. So in order to prepare for these times which we spend upon the mesas we have to haul water and wood and coal for heating and cooking purposes. Let alone all the baking and preparation which goes along with preparing for these kinds of ceremonies. I wanted to share where I have been the past couple weeks and hopefully you will understand that I have many obligations in my life and I am trying my best to be a part of all of it. If you have any questions or want to know more feel free to email me :) Attached you will find a picture of my village of Walpi.

No comments:

Post a Comment